Re: [DL] Spanish Family Names

banzai@missouri.edu writes:

<< I have a general, Hispanic naming convention question.  I'm fairly sure the
 given name is the first one and IIRC the mother's family name is in there
 somewhere but can someone explain where all these names come from?  In a
 linguistic (not the correct word but I can't remember what the term is for
 people who research their family history) sense.  >>

    There's a note regarding Spanish naming conventions on page 48 of SOTB.
It basically involves assembling names from both the father's and mother's
side of the family.  In the case of someone like Santa Anna, the noble child
of noble families, I imagine that, like noble families the world over, his
name preserves and reflects many different family ancestors and the like.

Steve Long