[DL] Chemist Equipment

Ok, and now for my third question of the day, I have a mad scientist in
my group who is specializing in chemistry, and he wants to buy a chest
full of chemicals to use in his potions.  I think he wants to pay like a
thousand bucks for a suitcase with an assortment of Rare and not so rare
materials in it.  should he get something like 5 rare materials... 20
not so rare and 100 everyday things in it... and then have to roll to
see if his case actually has what he needs in it (like a reliability
roll?)  Has anyone had to do this in the past... if so how did you
handle it?

Thanks in advance...

Dirk