Re: [DL] Ranges for Lariots (John)

In a message dated Tue, 25 Jan 2000  8:40:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Chris Aniballi" <aniballi@mc.net> writes:

> I hope this goes through.

It did. ;-)

> I have a posse member who is playing a bounty hunter. He recently purchased
> the Fightin': Lariat skill to take down his bounty non-lethaly. Problem is,
> there are no ranges listed for the lariat. Is it actually intended to only
> be used at the same ranges for other Fightin' attacks, or am I just missing
> something? In either case, what you recomend to use for a max range for a
> lariat strike.

Dang it! I was hoping this question would never raise it's ugly head. :-)

Okay...unless this has already appeared in the archives somewhere, I'd say it has a Range Increment 5 (purely to stick with the rules; otherwise, I'd say 2), with a max range equal to the length of the rope. (I wouldn't imagine it's practical to throw a rope much longer than 30 feet either.)

Of course, then to really be effective, he's going to want to call his shot as well, which should add more negative modifiers to it, etc.

As to using in fighting, that seems like it would be tough--despite the lariat's appearance on the Fightin' Weapons table. I'd give him a -2 modifier for trying to wield it in a brawl just to be a jerk. ;-)

John Goff