Re: [DL] Questions [John]

In a message dated Tue, 25 Jan 2000  9:21:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, Allan Seyberth <darious@darious.com> writes:

> Hey there,
>     I'm gonna flag this for John's attention, in case he missed it.  And offer
> a few suggestions of my own.

Most all of the answers are exactly what I would have replied anyway. ;-)

> At 04:13 PM 1/24/00 +0000, you wrote:
> >Just played my first real adventure yesterday and a few points came up.
> >I would greatly appreciate any feedback.
> >
> >1. What are the difficulty modifiers for stopping bleeding? One of the
> >bad guys got his arm maimed and we couldn't find the difficulties
> >anywhere.
>
> Well - it says that the heal wind just takes a few minutes and a TN of 3 -
> so that might cover the bleedin' thing.
>
> But if you want a more detailed system - I would use a simple 3/5/7
> difficulty to stop bleeding properly.  (Serious/Critical/Maimed)
> respectively.
> Anyone can slap on a tournaquet for a TN of 3 to temporarily stop any
> bleeding in the limbs.

We had exactly this same question come up in a HOE game. Our posse had a character sporting two maimed limbs, one critical wound, and a serious wound; he was leaking out 9 Wind a round from blood loss! We found we needed a quick system to stop bleeding, but still make it tough enough to stop the bleeding from killing the character from Wind loss that it wasn't a sure thing.

What we came up with was a single Action Card and a Medicine: (any) roll against a TN 3 reduced the Wind loss per round by 1. Normally that's not too tough if a hero's got a scratch or two, but it's enough to keep another character tied up for a few Action Cards treating wounds; it felt realistic to us without being too rules-heavy.

Finally, we decided treating yourself with medicine: (any)for _any_ purpose (Wind, wounds, what-have-you) gives you an additional -2 penalty in addition to any other wound modifiers, etc.

Those not an "official" system--it's just our house rule, BTW. At least not yet. ;-)

Allan's 3/5/7 works as well, but requires remembering another whole _two_ numbers. ;-)

John Goff