Re: [DL] Agency Questions....

In a message dated 2/3/00 12:00:13 AM Eastern Standard Time, XRebelX@aol.com
writes:

>  As for the no law man edge.....I either read the listing in Law Dogs wrong
> or
>  this is  an upcommer fro M.I.B...D (HAD ta use that   heh heh heh).
They
>  (then the Pinks) are listed to have Law Man 1.      I think I was more
>  comcerned with the aspect of say    Operative blows the werewolf away and
> the
>  town marshal shows up to see this guy in black holding a smoking gun over
>  nekkid corpse of Joe the Mercantile owner.     Does a writ keep the
marshal
>  from giving the M.I.B. legal trouble just on it's say-so?    Cover story
or
>  no (and I have come up with some dillies!), this could be a problem that
the

>  ever popular   "Sorry Marshal..... national security...need to know...I'm
>  sure you understand" might stop.

They do have the writ of authority that is _supposed_ to help in that
situation, but a good agent is still going to have a damn good cover story.
Sure--"Confederate spies" works a lot of the time.

Now, without going into too great of detail, Agency operatives do not have
the Law Man edge anymore. When they seperated from the Pinkertons, there was
a fair amount of restructuring. However, the Agency book will present (along
with a ton of other things) a promotion system for operatives; one of the
perks for having a higher "rank" (for lack of a better word) is more pull--in
the form of Friends in High Places.

That's how Agency operatives assert authority rather than the blanket Law
Man; they've got "connections." Basically, I'd like to see Union MiBDs have
to think around a problem instead of flash a badge and flaunt authority. It
makes for better (and smarter) roleplaying, IMO.

>  Totally agree with this...but again...there's those situations where an
> agent
>  would need to carry I.D. if for no other reason than to "grease the
wheels"
>  for the cover story.     But if they have no authority, the I.D. would be
as
>  much worth as Confederate cash at the Castle, wouldn't it?

See above. ;-)

>  Now I might buy this about the Denver office, but the Castle is listed in
> the
>  Northern book player section like it's a tourist attraction!     It states
>  that they..."provide intelligence about the south and fend off
incursionsby
>  forgien agents."    The rest ...ok.....(hmmmm   need to have a revision of
>  the town map   heh heh heh.    It's now his law offices   yeah!))

Well--not everything is as it seems...but sometimes--just sometimes--it might
be.

And that's all I have to say about that--for now. :-)

Cryptic enough?

>  N.S.A is the way they've been protrayed in our games....but even they get
> the
>  "Need to know.....National security.... look the other way officer"
schtick.

>     Need to see that book!     (April is too dang far away!!)     I still
>  think that the Agency should be as.....shall we say, authoritative...as
the
>  Rangers.     Even if they keep if a whole lot quieter!          Thanks
again
>  John!!

Well, that's one difference I want to play up somewhat. The Rangers have
nearly absolute authority (on paper) and have to deal with the problems that
brings (heightened visibility, public expectations, etc.), whereas the Agency
has to work smarter and subtler--to the extent of maintaining cover stories
within cover stories.

John Goff