Re: [DL] Was Book O' Curses, Now VOTWW

In a message dated Sun, 6 Feb 2000  4:34:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, Jamming <Jamming@sprintmail.com> writes:

> I disagree, there could be a very good reason as a reward/modification in the
> middle of the game.  Such as starting the posse as kids and letting time pass in
> the middle of the campaign without going into detail and letting the players
> take the Veteran of the Weird West as a method to:
>             1. buy off the Kid hindrance
>             2. have some points to reflect growth
>             3. to use the curse/background table
>                to expand character development.

This is a _very_ specific example--which, does basically entail creating nearly entirely new characters. While it is a valid reason, I don't think the exception invalidates the general rule of VotWW is intended to allow a player to start with a somewhat "experienced" character.

> I personally feel it is rather foolish for someone to reject your question out
> of hand without thinking the ramifications through.  It tends to be a rather
> knee- jerk Marshaling reaction to people wanting to get points, rather than
> careful consideration of the possibilities where it would be appropriate.

I'm afraid I have to disagree.

Had the question been worded with the somewhat unique instance you mentioned above, I think it would have generated a somewhat different response from both myself and the previous poster.

However, worded in a broad fashion, a broad answer is entirely appropriate and not knee-jerking.

John