Re: [DL] Was Book O' Curses, Now VOTWW

In a message dated Wed, 9 Feb 2000  2:35:42 AM Eastern Standard Time, "Nick Zachariasen" <zacharin@pluto.dsu.edu> writes:

> Now, just so I know, when a character takes VotWW, he DOES get the 15 points
> immediately, correct?
>
> Nick "O.K., the Wendigo bit off your arm- here's 15 points..." Zachariasen

That's correct--which is why VotWW is primarily intended as a character creation Edge. I suppose a Marshal could spread the points out over time to depict a slower development, though.

There are situations where it works later in a game--say, Jamming's example, or to reintegrate a character who's been absent from the campaign for some time. However, those instances should be a Marshal's decision to represent character development outside the scope of the regular campaign, not the choice of the player.

Otherwise, after a session or two, a player who's prone to abuse of the system may decide "Why spend my hard earned Fate Chips for bounty? I'll just pay triple the cost of VotWW (3 x 0) and pick up 15 points in exchange for a random Hinderance."

John