[DL] making molds and casting

Does anybody have any experience making molds of things and then casting from them?  You see, my dilemma is that some time ago I bought a pack of Grenadier mad scientists and one of them was in a wheelchair.  Well, when my mother was up here helping me clean when I came back from Christmas Break, while I was getting something from the car she threw away the wheels to said MS in wheelchair.  I now have the chance to get a figure from which I could make a suitable replacement, but I don't know how I'd go about it.  I will NOT let Dr. Strangelove (as I have taken to calling the figure) just sit around like the currently useless hunk of lead that he is.  I don't care what it takes (short of bestowing that fate upon another figure by simply cannibalizing it for its wheels), I WILL have wheels for his chair again.

Can anybody give me advice on how to make a mold and then cast replacement wheels using the ones I'll (hopefully) get?

Nick "one Hell of a squeaky wheel" Zachariasen

President
Corporate Communications
Entropy Gradient Reversals