Re: [DL] Any new books

In a message dated 3/5/00 12:04:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
beyerun@hotmail.com writes:

<< Would you mind posting to the list tomorrow as to you thoughts on those
 products when you get them?

 Thanks.

 -Byron >>
No prob.....of course my opinions are all I can speak on.     Some of the
things I've liked others have hated....blah blah blah.     Now...that
said.....

The WW1 & WW2 Cardstock Cowboys: (and the HOE Set 1 as well if ya wanna know)
area lot like the old Steve Jackson Games cardborad heroes.     They connect
with the "base" being the open area, rather than the sides like the SJG ones.
    I think that might make them a wee tad more stable in the standing up
department.     The art on them is ..... let's say similar the those I've
mentioned.....good, but a bit 'cartoonish'.....not in a BAD way, but still.
  Pretty good assortment of types and sexes for those different types,
something that is a BIG improvement over minis, due to the fact that some
folks like to play types that just ain't pictured by the Archetypes (my
wife...the Texas Ranger character who just didn't want the big ole walrus
mustached burly guy!).     One thing I was hoping to see for a purely
personal standpoint was a few (and may yet see....don't know WHAT kind of
these things are gonna pop up) more OF the archetypes pictured in the various
sourcebooks.     Don't get me wrong, there were some.....just wanted that
Blessed Witch Hunter....the one I play!   heh heh heh     Ya know....the one
that looks like the Joker got religion?     That's my boy!     All in
all....I think they'll be usefull in the game.     I think most will see them
for what they're supposed to be.....a game aid...not a personal character
portrait.    (STILL want that Witch Hunter!!!)

RVC 2-Book O' Curses:  Boy....am I gonna get disagreed with on this one.
On a couple of points anyhoo.    Now lemme say first that I ain't read every
single word in the thing yet (takes a bit to run a business AND mind my
daughter!), but here goes the first impressions.     The No Man'S Land
section (nope....no Player's Section!) if your Marshal lets ya read it is, in
my humble, the best laid out non-rules section PEG has done.     It looks
less a "game suplement" and more like the "reports" we were supposed to see
in the other sourcebooks of the type.     The use of different typefaces was
great!     Now mostly.....it's chock full of some really nasty things I can't
wait to use.....BUUUUUUUUT.......did we really need the Blob in the Weird
West? (Gotta be reeeeal carefull what I say due to spoiler material.)     I
do like that there are some individualistic characteristics in some of the
horror staples.....vampires and mummies and zombies (oh my!    Ya knew I
couldn't let it go dintcha?).       Biggets thing I can say....without saying
much....is beware the Hangin' Judges my son!       Got to say however that
most of the critters KINDA remind one of the Monster Maunal (forgive please
PEG, but it does ta me!).     All but one thing!      That's below.     If ya
ain't supposed to look, I wouldn't.....wouldn't be any fun if you did.

Are they all worth it.....yep!      Did ya think I'd say otherwise?     Do
have one laughable comment....but it's on the HOE adventure that I picked up
at the same time.     If ya want to know what it is....e-amil me....I'll tell
ya.     If you bought it....you know!

Spoiler Space starts here and goes down

Ya gotta love the Living House!     Even though I kinda scoffed at the
Blob.....The Amityville House in Deadlands is perfect!!     THIS I can't wait
to pull out on my Posse!     On another note..... most know that Werewolf and
Vampire characters have been given a place in this book.     They have power,
strengths and weaknesses...just like all the "special" character types.....
but (and understand...this is a Marshal sayin' this) I personally think that
they will be more trouble than it's worth!     I know, I know.....'if ya
don't like it, don't include it", but the other gaming rule is..."if it's out
there, gamers will wanna play it".     I like the rules if someone dies (if I
can even USE that word) or "gets infected" as the text calls it.....THEN ya
can have this stuff happen and it at least SEEMS to be something half way
interesting.    But to allow the 'starting vampire character' or the
'starting lycanthrope character'......I don't think so!      But that just my
2 cents worth.    Besides.......I'm one of those "Could Freddy beat Jason"
kinda guys.....I wanna see Stone and Dracula face off!      Michael Buffer's
ever so great grandpappy....... "Y'all git ready ta
RUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMBLLLLLLLEEEEEE!!!!"
heh heh heh

Later Days
Reb
("In every world, every dimension, every Plane of Existence...I AM the REBEL!
[X])