[DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20000316-1

Roy said,

> The reason that the firing/H2H stuff came up in our group is that one of the
> guys made up a mean and nasty two gun crackshot character.  After the first
> six months of play the player decided to swap him temporarily for an old
> way's Indian geezer.  The Indian's only ranged weapon is a spear, but this
> is also his tribal relic, therefore he doesn't throw it very often.  He was
> a bit surprised about how much more difficult it was to hit someone in the
> head in comparison to his old character, and ended up slugging it out with
> an enemy only to have a gunslinger shoot into combat over his head and kill
> the guy he's fighting.  This has led him to be become viewed as one of the
> weaker characters in the group when in fact he should be pretty strong.  The
> guy after his first fight asked why anyone would take a hand to hand based
> character over a gunslinger because of the increased difficulty to hit.

	Throw them into a bunch of Walkin' Dead at close
quarters, and then let the rest of the posse struggle to
get even one off while he stands in the middle and never
gets hit once... High combat skills are fantastic in this
sort of fight... Our Deadlands game had a Templar (long
story) who took great pleasure in wandering into the middle
of a bloodbath, drawing his sword, and the huge hit
modifiers he had made it very rare that he got hit at all.
	Of course, this was a GM with an unhealthy walkin'
dead addiction...

--
Andrew Cunningham
Heriot-Watt University