Re: [DL] Rpg classes [OT]

From: Ronald Conner <ronald@teleport.com>

> I've been scouring the net for college web pages trying to find a college
or
> universities that have classes related to or that focus totally on playing
> or creating roleplaying games.  I figured that lots of people on the list
> are in college maybe they know where one is.  So it's totally OT but I
> really want to know.
>
> Ps. Do any of the guys at pinnicle have degrees in anything?  Can you get
> degree in RPGs?
>
> Ron C

There has been a common thread here. Liberal arts? No, it couldn't be. Well,
it sure seems to be. A good variety of classes can start you on your way to
a career as a game developer.

The important things to look for:
1) Writing and editing skills. (Creative Writing, and English literature
courses).
2) Knowing more about how people and society work. (Psych, Sociology,
Anthropology, History, etc.)

Some additional things to look for:
- Business skills (If you plan to start and run your own company).
- A smattering of Science [shouldn't all Science be smattered?] (Knowledge
of science can teach you how things work. Some of the best Sci-Fi RPG's, in
my opinion, have a good sound basis in scientific fact).

Another possibility, and one a friend of mine followed, is to consider doing
an independent study or honors project on Role-playing. Said friend worked
it out with two professors, an anthropology and English professor, and wrote
the foundation to a RPG for credit. You can open up a lot of opportunities
if you can get professors interested in seeing what you can with
Role-playing.

I think the bottom line comes down to using the skills you learn to create
RPG's; not picking skills you think you need. Work with the skills you have,
and work with others who share your enthusiasm for gaming. Playtesting is an
important part of game design. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure
Deadlands changed a lot between its first conception and the release of the
first edition.

I hope this helps.

E. Zimmerman

"We live on an island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity,
and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H. P. Lovecraft
"Forget that, I'm swimming for it." - me during finals.