Re: [DL] Our State Mag & A Question

--- J Tolle <jwtolle@altavista.com> wrote:
> Also, as I perused the mag a question came to mind.  Does the
> Confederacy have an Independence Day?  If so, when is it?  Does it
> still celebrate July 4th as a day of Independence as well?  I am
> assuming so, given the dime novel of the above name, but I wondered
> if the South would continue to celebrate a "US" holiday.

I'm not sure about the rest of your questions, but I know for a fact
that the Confederate States of America celebrate(d) the Fourth of July
because it was not just a United States holiday, it's an American
holiday.  Many of the soldiers who fought for the south looked to the
Revolutionary War as a model after which to follow in their own Second
Revolutionary War.

> I would give three dates as potential dates for the South to
> celebrate their Independence Day.
>
> 1)The day when the seven original succeeding states signed the
> Confederate Succession papers (a la Declaration of Independence,
> sometime in Jan 1861)

Actually, this occured on December 7, 1860 when delegates in
Charleston, South Carolina adopted the Ordinance of Secession making
South Carolina the first state to officially secede.

> 2) The date the civil war began, and when the remaining 4 states
> joined the Confederacy. (Shots on Ft. Sumter? April 12th, 1861)

If this battle were celebrated, it would probably be April 13th, the
day Ft. Sumter fell to the Confederacy.

Bryce "Hooray for timelines!" Perry

=====