RE: [DL] Army Ranks (modern) (was: Question on Army Rank)

<snip>
> > Lieutenant General              LG      three silver stars
> (USN - Vice
> > Admiral, USMC Commandant of the Marine  Corp)
<snip>

> WRONG! USMC Commandant is a 4 Star General.

Nick is indeed correct, if a little caustic in his response.

http://www.usmc.mil/cmc/32cmc.nsf/main

<snip>
> an the only reason we created the 5-Star rank is so that
> our commanders were not out ranked by the likes of that ass
> Field Marshal Montgomery.

The highest U.S. Army rank, five-star general of the army, was created in
1944 and was conferred upon Henry Harley "Hap" Arnold, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
Douglas MacArthur, and George C. Marshall in that year and upon Omar N.
Bradley in 1950. The four-star rank of general of the army of the United
States was established for Ulysses S. Grant in 1866 and was bestowed later
upon William T. Sherman and Philip Sheridan; the unique four-star rank of
general of the armies of the United States, created in 1799 for George
Washington but never held by him, was conferred upon John J. Pershing in
1919.

----
To cite this page:
"general" Encyclopędia Britannica Online.
<http://www.eb.com:180/bol/topic?eu=37058&sctn=1>
[Accessed 27 June 2000].

Copyright © 1994-2000 Encyclopędia Britannica, Inc.
Although his condemnation of Field Marshall Montgomery does show a little
naiveté (or perhaps a lack of appreciation of other nations' contribution)
in his study of WWII. ;-P

Jim