Re: [DL] Doomtown Stuff! [GOFF]

--- Nick Zachariasen <zacharin@pluto.dsu.edu> wrote:

> > > Does one of these suppliments have stats for
> > > Knicknevin, or do people just use the greater
> manitou
> > > stats from Ghost Dancers?  Honestly, I'm not
> actually
> > > concerned with throwing knicknevin into a game.
> I'm
> > > just curious as to how Manitous who have crossed
> over
> > > are handled.
> >
> > Nope--we never wrote him up as he was a plot
> monster <g>. His physical
> > manifestation was supposed to be a _very_ special
> event; normally,
> manitous
> > cannot manifest a physical form in this world.

I agree with this.  The way I see Manitous is that
they can occasionally observe what's going on in the
physical world and sometimes modify some people's
dreams.  As the fear level increases or for specific
individuals they increase their ability to
communicate.  Eventually, around fear level 4 or 5,
they can manifest abominations, although they
themselves don't truely cross over in physical form.
I know this may seem weird coming from the guy who
made that funky fear effects table a while back
(http://freespace.virgin.net/max.trebilcock/deadlands/ddindex.htm
in case you forgot), but the whole idea behind that
was how the manitous subtly influence people and other
spirits in the area to create special effects.  The
fear effects given were never meant as directly
created by manitous.

> > If you want to do that with your campaign, I'd say
> give it whatever you
> feel
> > is best in the way of stats and/or abilities to
> challenge your posse to
> darn
> > near death. It should be _really_ powerful
> whatever you do with it--far
> more
> > than the greater manitou profile. :-)

I figured knicknaven came across in a fear level 6
area, and that's the only way I see a manitou coming
across.  I admit I know absolutely nothing about Hell
on Earth, so I'm not sure how manitous crossing over
are handled in that.  What I was thinking was any
huckster or black magician with a Nightmare Realm hex
could temporarily raise the fear level high enough to
bring a manitou across.  Of course as soon as the
level dropped down again the manitou would fade, but
for the brief moment while the window was open
(average between 3-5 minutes), the posse would have a
major ugly to deal with.

> There's always the possibility of using a demon from
> RVC2.

Doh, forgot about them.  That would work perfectly.

-Munch Wolf