Re: [DL] {SHANE} Deadlands on computer???

I too am not anyone related to PEG's publishing in any way, so all this is in my humble opinion - and certainly not a flame in any way, just my attempt to explain things.  So given that, I would say that a CD is not very likely, ever.

Despite the fact that CD's are cheaper to produce, there is less money made on the sale of each CD (vs the 3 or 4 books it may cover.)  So there is then less money to cover niceties like office space, salaries, copyrighting, electric bills and the like.

Ironically, this is known as "canabalization" in business circles.  You don't pit your hottest product against another hot product that competes in the same market.  They tend to eat each other.

Now if you are TSR (or WOTC) with a bunch of items that are out of print, and you have no plan to reprint these items, you can make a CD w/ all the Realms material on it.  The information on that CD is, until its release, played out.  I mean, honestly, would you buy the original cormyr source book if TSR re-released it today in print.  Not unless you were a real realms freak AND you happened to somehow miss it the first time around.  But would you buy it on CD if it had all the Realms stuff.  Well I did.  So why not put it on CD, and restart the product life cycle for those items.

Jeff "Sad but true, for I would love a dealands CD as well." Tolle
On Tue, 18 July 2000, "Matthew Noyes" wrote:

>Hello to those I hold in highest regard,
>I was wondering if there is any chance we will see a >cd-rom or dvd-rom

$1 million in prizes! 20 daily instant winners.
AltaVista Rewards: Click here to win!
http://shopping.altavista.com/e.sdc?e=3