[DL] Re: buying habits

Well, we've been playing DL for 2 and a half years now (same posse, and 3 of
the original characters; I'm not a hard Marshall), and never once has one of
my players bought a book. In fact, just recently, our Agency/Pinketon player
was saying "The agency books out! Why haven't you bought it?"
Now, that having been said, I still like the format. Frequently, I find that
there's information I'd like them to read, but it's couched between a whole
lot of stuff I wouldn't let them look at if their eyeballs were on fire and
it was water. Having stuff there that you're players can freely read is a
great advantage.
There are a couple of books where that is badly presented however. the F&B
book has a reference to the Order of St. George in the Posse section, a
grevious mistake from my way of looking at things. That particular book
should've had more marshall material and a bit less posse stuff, or possibly
not that adventure (I realise, however, that already you're not including
adventures in the books anymore).
Another instance of this was the HoE rulebook. One of my players was reading
this while we were playing through Heart o' Darkness. Needless to say, when
he got to the reference about Stone, he freaked. Hardest job he ever had to
do, keeping his mouth shut while they were rescuing one of the most ornery
sons o' bitches the world ever had the misfortune to encounter.
But do keep the different sections in MOST cases. Some, like RVC I and II
don't need it. I would have much rather had more Marshall material than have
any player sections, because they're not looking at it at all.
Reuben McCallum