RE: [DL]A Shameful Confession (was Worst Games) [OT]

<snip Goldman PB praise>
> The swordfight in The Princess Bride is very, very sad. I
<snip>
> foil and sabre and have become (I like to think) fairly
> proficient in the past six years.

I too fence although it has been quite a few years.

> Going back and watching the Princess Bride swordfight when
<snip>
> the flicks but would never be used in a real swordfight.

While I might have agreed with this I have experience that shows otherwise.
When I learned fencing it was from a former Olympic fencer.  He learned
while in Europe with the Army many years ago (post WWII I believe).  While
at school I fenced against a Thai fencer.  We (the Americans) would get into
proper position and execute each maneuver with as much style and grace as we
could.  He, on the other hand, would stand it a relaxed posture (chest
perpendicular to his blade) with both arms out in front.

The first time anyone fought him they thought it would be an easy bout.
After all he was standing there with his target area easily accessible.
Once it started it *was* over quickly.  He smacked the snot out of us
Americans.  Every time.  He was incredibly fast.  And accurate.  And crafty.

So no, I wouldn't say that the best fencers in the world would necessarily
follow form to the letter.

Jim "no more rhymes, dammit"