[DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20000803-1

Tha Baron said,

> That is very much my inclination.  all the PCs doing this had at least
> average Mien in this case.  But I have seen a really Glib fellow do this
> with a "Ugly as Sin and mean as a Rattler" PC with 6d Mien (not bad) and 0
> Persuade.  His reasoning was he was Roleplaying well therefore should not
> *have* to degrade the conversation to die rolls.  I was not running that
game.

    I often find it quite hard to check my dialogue and keep it in
character- while I could get away with it with my last character, who was me
only more cool, my current huckster is definately more timid and less
offensive, but he still keeps on getting lippy with sheriffs and bouncers...
(splat).
    Personally, I reckon that a PC who wants to RP in this way should always
get the stats to the right level. The only thing worse than a character with
1D4 in mien and no tale telling skill weaving a skillful web of words which
enthralls the crowd is a character with 5D12 in ridicule who can only shout
"yer mamma!". Build a character that fits into what you'll be doing as the
player.
    Ahem. Sermon is ovah!

AndrewC