Re: [DL] Martial Arts balance

 | Here's my point, if you've suffered through this far:
| they seem unbalanced.  Systemically, they don't suffer
| the potential problems that other arcane background
| have to deal with (backlash, loss of faith, oaths to
| spirits / appeasement, ...),

Nope.  If they go bust, they do suffer some sort of spanking (though I
can't remember at the moment what that is...).

| combined with a cheap
| start-up cost (one point of Edge).

Nope.  3 points for Martial Artist (which makes you a brawler who does a
little extra damage, and can do lethal damage in h2h); if you want access
to Ch'i powers, it's an additional 3 points for enlightened.  That makes it
6- twice that of any other AB.

| Compare this to
| someone like Maggie who spent 8 Edge points to be good
| at what she does.  She may be good with a pair of
| pistols, but she can't vamoose to cost her opponent an
| action to get up, and she can't do non-chippable
| damage.

I don't remember any such power, in Hexarcana or the orginal rules.  Since
the fight was one-on-one, IIRC, have you considered that your Marshal may
have used a modified version of the Showdown rules from "The Quick and the
Dead"?