Re: [DL] Hexslingers and focus-dependent

As the original poster of this thread, let me say that I am now
understanding what Steven Long had intended with hexslingers in the Law Dogs
book.

The problem I have is that the only place in the book where I can find some
info is in the section "Makin' Hexslingers" on page 74, "Many (if not most)
hexslingers are focus dependent (usually on a particular gun or type of
gun)." Then there is the sample Hexslinger template which has focus
dependent as a 1 point Hindrance. But, those sample templates had errors
and, besides, templates should not be the place to get rules info.

So, that is why I am asking if "focus dependent" is a Hindrance and what
happens if you lose your focus (gun)? Obviously, it doesn't take a mad
scientist to figure out it's a Hindrance. However, that was not made clear
as it was not given any point value, nor given any more description. Also,
note the part - "a particular gun or type of gun." This must mean that a
player could be more specific with his focus and have more points in the
Hindrance? Perhaps, only Peacemaker or a black Stetson hat works for his
character and not having it in his possession incurs a more severe penalty?
(Again, I am assuming focus dependent is a Hindrance.)

And speaking of penalties...

Ron Conner wrote: "I know he (Steven Long) has more knowledge of this
than I do but If you are focus dependant then the loss of your focus causes
at least a -1 to -2 penalty to all hexslinging rolls.  It's in the book, I
just don't have the page number in front of me."

And Steven Long wrote: "I said if he chooses to make a gun
his Focus, he gets the advantages and disadvantages for doing so -- such as
the penalty you mention.  If he doesn't, all he needs to do is pick up
another gun to use gun-related hexes -- if the gun's not a Focus, he doesn't
experience Focus penalties for losing it."*

1. Okay guys, where in Law Dogs does it mention penalties?

2. Steven Long, so hexslingers do need to have a gun to use *gun-related*
hexes? I'm afraid that is not stated in Law Dogs. Please point me to the
relevant page if it is.

(And please do not take this in any manner than that of a Marshal asking
questions in an effort to understand the rules. I am not attacking or
flaming anyone here. Unfortunately, email is a clumsy way to communicate and
I wish I could call or meet face-to-face to clear these things up.)

Martin Ward <fish@glinx.com>
Hall's Harbour, Nova Scotia, Canada