Re: [DL] D&D3e Stuff (long)

Im gonna delurk here for a sec...

I promise this will be my only post on this subject...since it is way
OT....

I grumbled and groaned when I learned that WoTC had planned on doing a 3rd
edition of D&D....I myself prefer the 1st Edition Greyhawk since I rabidly
collect the old modules set in that world.....my favorite character class
is the Druid, which in 2nd Edition got brutalized (cleanest word I could
think of). When TSR put out Spells and Magic...they actually fixed the
Druid's spell list...though not the spell progression or hit dice allotment
to their previous forms. I was actually molified for the time.

Along comes 3rd edition, which most of my friends claimed they weren't
gonna get either. Lo and behold, my Rifts GM (no...Im not gonna get into a
Palladium griping contest either....I like the system...and as KS
says...dont like it..change it...simple enough) says he got the book and
wants me to take a look at it.

I liked it. It actually made me want to do a classic "dungeon crawl" like I
had been introduced to with D&D Basic and Keep on the Borderlands almost 20
years ago. (Seems like more......but I digress)

Anyhow...the other big thing that struck me about D&D 3rd edition was that
it was priced for $20 for the Players Handbook. Nice artwork, sewn in
pages, and high quality paper, 302 pages and hard back...not bad at all.
This was actually a good thing. Now mind you, Im not someone who willingly
shells out dough for overpriced books.

Im kinda like ol B.A.  in Knights of the Dinner Table in that my friend is
the 1/2 Off/Used Section of the local game store that I frequent. I learned
my lesson from Magic: The Gathering. (or more correctly....I goofed big
time when it first premiered, sneering that a "mere card game" would never
sell like an rpg....Im a gamer....I never said I was smart or anything)

So...for those of you on the fence...give it a look...ya might surprise
yourself and want to strap on a shield, mail shirt, and a sword to go with
three other friends to tackle the Underdark (Why is it that adventuring
groups are always 4 people? Yea...like Im gonna go down into Drow-held
caverns with only 3 other morons to take on hundreds of dark elves. Thats
why I always felt like I had a chance in a party of 8 PCs.....)

Brooklyn Red Leg (a.k.a.- David Farris)
The Red Legged Devil of the Iron Brigade
Corporal. 14th Brooklyn Militia, 1st Corps,
1st Division, Army of the Potomac

PS- No...I dont work for TSR or WoTC....nor am I some kinda salesman.