[DL] Re:Canada prices (Shane or John)

----- Original Message ----- >
> Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:36:02 -0400
> From: coburn@sympatico.ca
> Subject: Re: [DL] Canada prices (Shane or John)

<Snip volume discount for WotC>

> But how does it explain the disparity compared to, say, SJG?  (As far as I
> can tell, GURPS is not a huge seller in this area.)  Palladium?  Could it
be
> that distributors cannot move as many copies, and so cannot offer as much
of
> a break to even their biggest customers?

Possibly. Gurps is typically priced between $19.95-$23.95 for their stuff,
depending on size/content. As far as what you pay, I could never even
venture a guess as to what is factored into that decision on your side of
the border. It could be volume sales, it could be something as simple as a
"I know they'll pay it" attitude from a distributor or retailer. It might
also be something complicated and boring. Couldn't tell ya.

> Heck, I've bought a PEG supplement directly from a national distributor
> (have a friend who worked there in the Montreal office), and it wasn't
> compellingly cheaper than in-store (compared to a LUG product I priced
from
> said distributor that would have saved me about $20).

See above. I can't tell you why this would be. Sounds like some weird
conspiracy to me... ;-)

Sinister Dexter
sinisterdexter@mindspring.com