Re: [DL] Session Recap (Now 100% OT!)

--- John Goff <JohnGoff@deadlands.com> wrote:
> Actually, I'm pretty sure it dates from the Korean
> Conflict thanks to a
> linquistic misunderstanding. The Korean name for
> America is roughly
> pronounced "me-guk" or "me-gook."
>
> You can imagine what those Iowa farm boys thought
> getting off the plane to
> Koreans greeting them with their name for America.
>
> (This bit of trivia brought to you courtesy of
> United States tax dollars at
> work. It's also one of the very few things I
> remember from a year of
> intensive Korean language training.) :-)
>
> John

John,

I too learned this same bit of info second hand from
fellow trainees taking intensive Korean. I was taking
intensive Russian, myself, but you picked up a little
of everything else in the mixed language barracks at
the Naval Security Group ... I'm wondering if you
attended the Defense Language Institute in Monterey
like myself or were you at some other language
"hellhole"? ;)

Its a small world,
Tenebros

=====