Re: [DL] Hello and Questions

jburneko@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hello There.  My name is Jesse and I'm new to the
> Deadlands RPG.  I just discovered it about a month or
> so ago.  I was hesitant to get into it at first
> because I'm not exactly a fan of the Western genre.
> However, after reading the player's and marshal's
> handbook I can see that this game is a LOT of fun.

Etc.

Welcome to the list, Jesse!

My personal opinion (and I don't work for PEG, have no inside information
concerning them, and wish them nothing but the best) is that Deadlands is
'past it's peak' (I seem to recall that it was the third most popular RPG at
one point), but well worth your time and money.

Unless the guy that replaces John Goff pulls a serious rabbit out of his
hat, I think the game has gotten to the point of 'filling in the corners'
rather than really innovating any more, but that is true of many mature
systems (like Call of Cthulhu and Vampire, to name two).

That said, I continue to anticipate some of their upcoming product (like
Black Circle!), and for a newcomer to the game, there is a huge backlog of
product that should keep you busy for a long time to come.

Finally, while I myself don't follow this route, there are two related games
(Hell on Earth and Lost Colony) which take the setting into an alternate
present-day and future, respectively.

Finally, PEG is run by people who seem to genuinely love what they do, and
who pay attention to us fans, especially in terms of net presence.

So my suggestion is dig in!  I did...

Ross Coburn
coburn@sympatico.ca