Re: [DL] Not even pretending to be a DeadLands topic...

--- David Farris <brkredlg@gate.net> wrote:
BTW...what gender issues? (Im nosy.....thats the
historian in me).....Two of the most powerful people
in Tolkien's universe were Luthien (in The
Silmarillion) and Galadriel (but ya have to have read
The Unifinished Tales to get more of the feel for her
history). Then, of course, ya have Eowyn, who was a
Shield-Maiden. (which, of course, meant there were
others in The Mark that bore that title before The War
of the Ring) She gets the Witch-King at the Battle of
the Pelenor Fields....not too shabby considering the
fact that not even Glorifindel could kill him.

<gender rant mode on>

And why does she get to kill him?  Is it her battle
skills, her devotion to the warrior path?  Nope - it's
a loophole!

AND THEN THEY MARRY HER OFF LIKE A PRIZE!  She gets to
slay THE bad guy, and does she get to transcend gender
stereotypes as a result and live out her dreams of
riding into battle as befits her rank?  Nooooo... she
winds up grand prize at the conquest party.  *rolling
eyes*

<gender rant mode off>

Sorry for the venomence, but that one section spoiled
the entire trilogy for me like a bitter lingering
aftertaste.  And thank you for knowing names, I gave
up on remembering everyone's name about half way
through.

And Galadriel always seemed to distant to me.  Yes, I
realize she was important to the storyline, but she
was a far-off vision of lovliness much more than a
person you could interact with.  She always strikes me
more as a diety than a mortal, even more so than most
High Elves.

Marguerite of EMGB, otherwise known as Maggie Jensen