Re: [DL] Campaign starting help

Jon Mollison (jonmonster@netcarrier.com) wrote:
> It all begins with the PCs barely escaping from a tough band of
> law enforcement officials after a brief fight - officials which
> clearly outmatch them right now, but maybe after som etimne to
> hone thier skills the PCs can go after these particular
> baddies. [snip]

Just a few months ago I tried starting a new campaign _very_
similar to this.  I made the mistake of having the PCs being
chased away from something they cared deeply about (in this case,
their home town).  Pinkertons showed up to "handle the situation"
when major weirdness occured to the town.  My players fought
tooth and nail against retreating, shifting to guerilla tactics.
It took a great deal of work to get them to leave.  For a while
there was a very real chance that they were going die trying.

I suppose the lesson to be learned is that if you need to chase
players away from something (a place, an army, whatever), make
sure they are willing to cut their loses and leave.  Players are
very ornery critters.

--
Alan De Smet chaos@highprogrammer.com http://highprogrammer.com/alan