Re: [DL] Reluctant Player Member

--- matt ryan <mrr1@cornell.edu> wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone,
>
> I've been playing Deadlands for five weeks now, loving every Guts
> check  and Scrutinize roll along the way. Lsst night I ran into a
> problem
> that I haven't seen since my D&D days back in the '80's. (It's true,
> I'm an
> 'older gamer'.)

Hehe... can we call you "grampa"?

> We've got a reluctant player in our group.

<snip>

> How do other people handle this? How do other players handle this?
> What can
> I, as a player, do to move things along. When this player stays
> behind he
> isn't content to just sit there; he has to take the Marshall's time
> doing
> things. So, the Marshall ends up running a split story, guiding 5 of
> us on
> one path and then guiding reluctant along the same path, behind us.
> It's
> frustrating.

In all of the groups I've been in, if we have a player like this we
handle it in a simple way:  we tell him to make a new character as the
one he's playing is obviously not the adventurer type.  If he doesn't
want to play then he can stay at home and gain no
experience/bounty/what-have-you and be the "beer boy" to tone down a
phrase.

-Bryce

=====
We must learn to set our course by the stars, not by every passing ship.