[DL] Erie Canal

Hi again,

I've got a posse acting as escorts for a very rich lady from Boston to
Chicago.  They have made it to Albany, New York with no real problems
and are going to take the Erie Canal to Buffalo and then catch a ship to
Toledo.

As silly as this sounds I never expected them to take the canal. Do you
have any ideas for 'weirdness' upon the very calm, peaceful, and quiet
waters?  Let's see, it's four feet deep, the boats move at four miles
and hour and they are convinced that nothing can go wrong...that tells
you how much these players know about the world of Deadlands. Oh yeah,
I've started my campaign in Jan. 1864 and am working quickly through
main alternate history points since none are familiar with the game.
It's now late March, 1864. I would like something subtle, they haven't
even met undead yet.  Granted it's only the fourth gaming session...

I'm thinking about an encounter with a huckster or a shyster that is
staying on their 'semi-private' boat. I have a freed-man and an Irish
servant as extras that travel with their employer.  I was also thinking
of having someone take offence to either race. Neither of these are very
spooky but they're my fall backs.

I am going to have one city encounter when the boat is forced to take a
long wait at a lock, so I'm asking for help while they're on the water.

Thanks in advance,
Lanica