Re: [DL] combat system

At 10:45 PM 5/18/2001 -0400, you wrote:
 >for some reason the cards and the rerolling of aces just caused a single
 >battle to drag on for an hour

Hmmmm.

There's not much to be done with the rolling of aces except that folks get
faster with practise.  One thing I like to do is to keep track of the
highest roll ever made.  I give a blue chip to the first person to break a
fifty, and each time the high roll is beat after that.  It gives a meaning
to some of those times when a player has gotten far higher than he needs -
he can keep rolling to beat the max.
As for the aces you roll - after a couple of aces - stop.   No matter what
a player is gonig to be hurting. Well - if you need to bleed off a LOT of
chips, keep rolling the damage.  :)

Another trick I like to do to keep the rolling down is to pre-roll the
first three rounds of initiatives for the bad guys and write the numbers
down.  When their turn comes up all I do is apply the modifiers and draw
the proper number of cards.

As for the cards - the slowest part for me was the countdown across the
whole Ace-Duece range.  So I started counting off at a staccato pace.  Aces
go!  KingQueenJacks. go!  You've got a king and you've got a jack?  King
go!  What do you do?  Roll to hit.  (while he's rolling) Jack - what do you
want to do?. . .
It's pretty effective psychologically - as it creates a sense of urgency
that should exist in combat.
If you call a number and a player biffs calling out AND irrevocable things
have happened in the combat, don't rewind - it's the player's
responsibility to act when you call.

Just be fair about keeping the pace.  If you skip over a player's number or
the mistake is otherwise yours, do a full rewind back to the player's
action or somehow make certain that your mistake isn't a penalty for the
player.  If you have a player that can't gear up to that speed don't force
it - just use the time to plan what you are thinking of doing with your guys.

But. generally it all gets faster with practise.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

Thundrous echoes of deep thoughts without form.