Re: [DL] Cattle Barons - Marshal looking for help

>> herds out away from the main ranch.  Now most folks are comfortable in
>describing farms in acres, but you probably need  > to start thinking in
>sections, thats 640 acres , or 1 square mile.  One ranch I can think of was
>over 360 sections.  That would > be a ranch 60 miles by 60 miles, or 100km
>by 100km for the metric bunch.  So think big.
>
>Exactly how big is a single acre, anyway?

360 sections = 60*60 square mile = 3600 square miles;
640 acres = 1 section = 10 square miles
64 acres = 1 square mile
1 acre = 1/8 mile * 1/8 mile

Roughtly 200 meters by 200 for us metric folks.

Strangely, this seems to be a lot of space to me. But then, in Europe, some
cows are fed with the remains of other cows (or at least, have been until
one or two years ago). It could be a nice idea to use for a Deadlands story.
Ranchers feed cows with meet, and the cows go mad...

Vincent Vandemeulebrouck
The French tinhorn with a Great name