Re: [DL] WesternGothicGraphic novel1st 20pg FREE@blackdaze.com

Barry. . .

This wasn't an unsolicited advertisement sent to this list, was it?

At 09:50 AM 6/10/2001 -0400, BarryB301@netscape.net wrote:

 >1. What influenced you to create a western comic book?
 >
 >Boy, I hope your URL has some space.  I’ve always leaned towards  the creed:
 >write what you know. I’ve lived in many small towns
 >and have always been interested in using them as settings for stories.  The
 >people are unique, there is a different sort of mindset to
 >living in a small town and they do have their darker side just like big
 >cities.  I had a few ideas mulling around in my head ranging
 >from short stories, screenplays to graphic novels, or whatever.
 > The most prevalent one was of a young man returning to his small home town
 >from college to discover something strange going on.
 >This leads him to start probing into his town to unearth it’s seamier side.
 >At this time movie director David Lynch put out “Blue
 >Velvet” and it’s plot was so close to what I was aiming after I had to come
 >up with a different angle.  From that I concocted a
 >straight murder mystery set in a small town. No sooner do I come up with
 >this bright idea when  Lynch comes out with the t.v.
 >series “Twin Peaks”.  On that account I needed to think of something with a
 >little more spin. Finally, as I was driving home from
 >college one day, I had the epiphany, or maybe a  psychotic episode, of
 >having a murder mystery take place in an small town in the
 >old American West.
 >

 >Interestingly enough, I have ridden and have been around horses all my life,
 >but I was never into Westerns of any shape or form. So
 >I started to inundate myself in researching the Old West. Reading, studying,
 >and photocopying every kind of book and magazine on
 >this place and time in American history. I completely enjoyed immersing
 >myself in auto- biographies and biographies of the people
 >that lived it. Granted, most of these books written were full of falsehoods,
 >mis- remembrances and out right myths.  This is
 >espically true of the auto-biographies, but they really give you a sense of
 >being there. Like I said; write what you know and if you
 >don’t know it you can always find out.
 >
 >  I mixed all this in with the premise that the graphic novel would have
 >supernatural under-currents running through it’s story-line.
 >The one thing I always associated with the Old West was that it was kind of
 >macabre. You know, all those black and white
 >photographs of women and children standing around the bullet-hole filled,
 >fly-covered body of a recently dead outlaw. No one was
 >smiling. They couldn’t hold a grin long enough for the time it took to take
 >the picture, however it made the scenes even more
 >morose.  This is one of the reasons the covers read: A Gothic-Western. We
 >couldn’t go for just an average genre we had to come up
 >with one of our own.
 >

 >2. Those Mike Hoffman covers are great! How did you establish your
 >relationship with Hoffman?
 >
 >  If a picture is worth a thousand words those covers are good for hundreds
 >of thousands apiece.  With each progressive cover Mike
> [...]

Allan 'Deputy' Seyberth
moderator@darious.com

To subscribe to the Pinnacle listservs:
Send to:  esquire@gamerz.net
With the body of  any/all of the following:
subscribe deadlands
subscribe deadlands-ot *
subscribe hoe
subscribe bnw
subscribe lc
subscribe weirdwars
                         *see warning at bottom

To get the digest version of any list, just add -digest to the end of the
command above.  (For example:  subscribe hoe-digest)

To unsubscribe to any of the previous lists, just replace the command
"subscribe <list>" with the command "unsubscribe <list>".

DL, HoE and BNW archives can be found at:
   http://www.gamerz.net/archives/
Pinnacle Entertainment Group:
   http://www.peginc.com
Searchable DL and HoE archives can be found at:
   http://www.deadlandsarchive.com
Accumulated Rulings on the Web:
   http://www.sonic.net/~dkjedi/deadlands/
Accumulated Rulings in file format:
   http://www.darious.com/deadlands/
James Cook's Character generator software:
   http://members.xoom.com/pegcgs/index.htm

The listserv rules:
1) No attachments of any kind.
2) Treat each other with courtesy.  Respect other's right to have a
differing opinion, if not necessarily the opinion itself - ie no
flames.  Discussions and debates are okay, but take flames to direct email
or even to the OT list if you must respond in public.
3) No vulgarity or foul language on the regular lists.

The listserv courtesies:  (Like the rules, only less likely to get someone
bounced off of the listserv)
1) HTML formatting:  No html formatted text.  This is closer to an actual
rule but because Oatlook and Oatlook express defaults to html or rtf text,
I give folks some slack.  AOL users must minimize the use of formatting in
their emails.
2) Subject lines:  Keep subject lines on subject.  Topic drift will occur,
but take a moment to check the subject line before hitting send on your
reply.  This includes putting in a <Spoiler> warning, putting an OT tag in,
adding in the names of folks that you really want your post to be noticed
by, and removing the names of those same folks once topic drift has occurred.
3) Off topic conversations:  OT threads that have gone on for "too long"
should also be taken off of the list.  There are no hard and fast rules for
what "too long" is, but one guideline is if the thread is now a direct
conversation between just two people.  Another warning sign would be if the
thread has gotten to be circular with everyone just repeating the same thing.
4)  Spoiler warnings:  When discussing things that could ruin a Marshal's
surprise for a player (generally items in the Marshal's section of
published books, or almost anything from an adventure) put either put a
Spoiler tag in the subject line or a spoiler warning with a few lines of
space in the text.  About five or six blank lines are sufficient - just
enough space to be a visual break for folks reading.
5)  Replying:  When replying to a message it is not usually necessary or
desired to copy the whole message and send it again.  Remove those messages
and signature lines that are automatically added by the listserv itself and
various free email services.
6) There IS no courtesy number . . . ah let's skip it.
7)  Signature lines:  Be reasonable. I'm breaking this one myself - but
only under the moderator account and only to provide the basic set of
guidelines for the listserv.

Special moderator account stuff:
I post to the listserv under two accounts - my normal one and the moderator
one.  My normal postings are as darious@darious.com and are no different
from anyone else's postings.  When I post or send something as
moderator@darious.com (notably different because of this huge signature
file) it is to be considered official listserv business.  If you have a
difficulty with how I am doing in my job as moderator, you can always
contact the listserv owner AB at afterburner@erols.com.

*FAIR WARNING:  The Deadlands-OT list was created to have a list where the
regulars could take their off topic conversations.  One of the only rules
is. . . no rules.  (Almost.  Attachments are still forbidden.)  That pretty
much means that the OT list started at the bottom, worked it's way down,
and has constantly strived to remain there.  Aside from the normal
vulgarity, this list is where people can make personal attacks against each
other.  It is not a polite place, nor does it usually have anything to do
at all with Deadlands, Brave New World, or even role-playing games.  None
of the game designers post to it and it has no official relationship with
any game company whatsoever.  There is absolutely no worthwhile content on
this list.  Since the messages are archived and posted to the web, none of
the regular posters to this list will ever be able to run for public
office. It is filled with senseless vulgarity interspaced with occasional
piercing personal attacks on people.  If you still live with your parents
they probably don't want you reading the OT list.  Do so at your own risk.