Re: [DL] What's a death spiral? -- was: deadlands D20 (barely)

At 10:25 PM 6/14/2001 -0400, you wrote:
 >Well, then either you were misinterpreting the rules (-11 sounds pretty
 >harsh to me), or the PCs went on one of those PC-like sprees they
 >sometimes do where they absolutely raunch on your best efforts.

Actually - I had a player hit -11 in his penalties.

Let's just say that when it came to character creation, he choose. . . poorly.
He took night terrors (old rules) and only put a 2d6 into Spirit.  He also
didn't put any points into guts.

After 5 nights of failing his spirit checks, he failed a guts check at the
start of an encounter and before too long he had taken 4 wounds into the guts.

Now THAT was a death spiral.

 >If it's any consolation, I find the Challenge Ratings in D&D worse than
 >useless.

If the CR's actually had a standard they used, but the difference between
two CR 3 critters is juge.

I just divide the XP reward by two and eyeball each monster to adjust them
down or up the couple of CR's they need to match the party.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes.
                 -Mickey Mouse