[DL] Carrying a load

<snip>
> I would imagine that the penalties might be reduced if you
> could somehow "distribute" the weight well -- like with a
> real good backpackers pack -- a frame that helps make the
> load seem less cumbersome.

The frame helps spread the load out and balance it but more importantly, it
moves some of the load from your shoulders to your hips.

> There are list members who've been in (are in) the military.
> Any comments on how fast you can march with a big ol' pack
> on your back?

Aye, was in the Light Infantry and in the Mech Engineers.  The question
doesn't equate.  In the Infantry, I usually carried a medium ALICE pack with
an assortment of personal items (spare uniform sometimes, spare underwear
and socks, an MRE or three, spare ammo and flares, etc.) and the radio (we
were perpetually short on personnel and if I carried the radio that meant we
had 1 more weapon on the line).  Probably (at a guess) a good 40 or 50
pounds.

However I never really measured my "speed".  Usually we were going cross
country in a tactical situation in which speed is a secondary consideration
to security, stealth and the like.  When we *were* doing a road march I
never measured my speed because we were usually pretty dogged out by the
time we were done.

When I was on active duty with the Engineers we rode everywhere (except when
I made them do a road march because I used to be infantry!).

Jim

MAJ, EN
USAR