Re: [DL] Dead Presidents Comments <SPOILERS>

At 02:11 PM 7/25/2001, Roy Spence wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Just managed to pick up Dead Presidents at the weekend and thought I'd post
>some thoughts, so it's spoilers all round.  Also a warning, this gets pretty
>long...

>My major disappointment with the book was that the adventure seemed to skip
>over the investigation opportunities for the plot and instead concentrated
>on the opportunities for combat.

         Thank you very much, Mr. Spence, for taking the time to post some
feedback on DP. Rest assured, it is most appreciated by the First Draft's
author.;-)

         For what it's worth, in my own personal opinion (albeit one often
clouded by a healthy Writer's Ego;-) ) your criticism is a valid one.
Originally, Chapter One was a lengthy investigation into the whereabouts of
the voodoo ritual's sacrificial victims, but in the playtest session Shane
ran, it pulled the Posse off on a needless tangent. Therefore, Shane
re-wrote it into a much more linear affair, and with that aim in mind, I
think it's a good reworking of the material I submitted. (If I may be
frank, Chapter One to me is all about Dr. Nick and the gory Slaughterhouse
battle, and all else was commentary.;-) I was happy as long as those
elements were retained after the revisions.)
         Also in the original draft, there was an investigation sequence
right after the Posse breaks out of Castle Thunder Prison. I'm not sure how
they would've gelled as a whole, but there were some potential individual
encounters in there I thought were entertaining. There was also a search
for the means to prevent Richmond's destruction, later in the final
chapter. So far as I know, these segments were cut to make room for the D20
stats, but it is (at least) equally possible they just sucked (and Shane
saved me from embarrassing myself in print).

Deo Vindice,
Mr. Christopher L. McGlothlin, M.Ed.

Freelance Writer for the Deadlands and DC Universe RPG Lines
Southern by the Grace of God