RE: [DL] Re: Bolt Guns

No, you are right.
I got ahead of myself with the Vetterli and responding to comments that there were no metalic cartridge bolt action rifles before the 1880s.  The Mauser, including the 1871 model was probably the best bolt action rifle of the time, though as a state secret, hard to get a hold of.  I think the French rifle was the Graz, which was used in variations through the Grat War.  Prior to these rifles, both the french and germans used the "needle guns" which used paper cartridges.

I guess one other item of note was that the Turks did use winchesters in their army to fight the russians in conjuction with long weapons.  The turks were under seige and used the long range weapons to kill the russians at range, and then as the russians approached, the turks switched to the high capacity winchesters, and destroyed the russians.  But again, the lever action mechanism is really too delicate to be a generally successful martial arm.

g'day
frempath