Re: [DL] Deadlands D20 List

At 09:17 AM 8/10/2001 +0100, you wrote:
 >Will the Deadlands D20 use this list or a new one?
 >I would assume it is this one - story is more imprtant
 >than system after all but I am just curious.

It's staying here, for exactly that reason.

 >Similarly, and sorry for going off topic, is a Weird
 >Wars list going up - or have I missed it?

Nick already got this one, but the instructions are also in my .sig line.

Allan 'Deputy' Seyberth
moderator@darious.com

To subscribe to the Pinnacle listservs:
Send to:  esquire@gamerz.net
With the body of  any/all of the following:
subscribe deadlands
subscribe deadlands-ot *
subscribe hoe
subscribe bnw
subscribe lc
subscribe weirdwars
                         *see warning at bottom

To get the digest version of any list, just add -digest to the end of the
command above.  (For example:  subscribe hoe-digest)

To unsubscribe to any of the previous lists, just replace the command
"subscribe <list>" with the command "unsubscribe <list>".

DL, HoE and BNW archives can be found at:
   http://www.gamerz.net/archives/
Pinnacle Entertainment Group:
   http://www.peginc.com
Searchable DL and HoE archives can be found at:
   http://www.deadlandsarchive.com
Accumulated Rulings on the Web:
   http://www.sonic.net/~dkjedi/deadlands/
Accumulated Rulings in file format:
   http://www.darious.com/deadlands/

The listserv rules:
1) No attachments of any kind.
2) Treat each other with courtesy.  Respect other's right to have a
differing opinion, if not necessarily the opinion itself - ie no
flames.  Discussions and debates are okay, but take flames to direct email
or even to the OT list if you must respond in public.
3) No vulgarity or foul language on the regular lists.
4) Selling things.  You can sell on-topic items - as long as it is one post
and all followup negotiations happen off list.  Two caveats to this:
         A - Unsolicited commercial email is frowned upon.  Someone coming
out of the blue and who has never participated in topic before to post a
cut and paste advertisement for something they are selling is far different
from a regular posting that they have something to sell.  When in doubt I
will lean in favor of the poster - the first time.
         B - Under NO circumstance can this list be used to initiate the
selling of items created in violation of copyright and/or trademark
laws.  I'm certain that a lawyer could come up with a more appropriate and
correct phrasing but the bottom line is that if you are doing something
illegal - don't bring it here.  NOTHING will get you bounced from the list
faster if I find out about it and depending on the nature of the incident a
phone call to the authorities may be warranted.  Neither Richard,
Afterburner, myself and certainly nobody at Pinnacle need the potential
grief of some fat-500,000-a-year-retainer attorney for a mega-record label
coming down on us.

The listserv courtesies:  (Like the rules, only less likely to get someone
bounced off of the listserv)

1) HTML formatting:  No html formatted text.  This is closer to an actual
rule but because Oatlook and Oatlook express defaults to html or rtf text,
I give folks some slack.  AOL users must minimize the use of formatting in
their emails.
2) Subject lines:  Keep subject lines on subject.  Topic drift will occur,
but take a moment to check the subject line before hitting send on your
reply.  This includes putting in a <Spoiler> warning, putting an OT tag in,
adding in the names of folks that you really want your post to be noticed
by, and removing the names of those same folks once topic drift has occurred.
3) Off topic conversations:  OT threads that have gone on for "too long"
should also be taken off of the list.  There are no hard and fast rules for
what "too long" is, but one guideline is if the thread is now a direct
conversation between just two people.  Another warning sign would be if the
thread has gotten to be circular with everyone just repeating the same thing.
4)  Spoiler warnings:  When discussing things that could ruin a Marshal's
surprise for a player (generally items in the Marshal's section of
published books, or almost anything from an adventure) put either put a
Spoiler tag in the subject line or a spoiler warning with a few lines of
space in the text.  About five or six blank lines are sufficient - just
enough space to be a visual break for folks reading.
5)  Replying:  When replying to a message it is not usually necessary or
desired to copy the whole message and send it again.  Remove those messages
and signature lines that are automatically added by the listserv itself and
various free email services.
6) There IS no courtesy number . . . ah let's skip it.
7)  Signature lines:  Be reasonable. I'm breaking this one myself - but
only under the moderator account and only to provide the basic set of
guidelines for the listserv.

Special moderator account stuff:
I post to the listserv under two accounts - my normal one and the moderator
one.  My normal postings are as darious@darious.com and are no different
from anyone else's postings.  When I post or send something as
moderator@darious.com (notably different because of this huge signature
file) it is to be considered official listserv business.  If you have a
difficulty with how I am doing in my job as moderator, you can always
contact the listserv owner AB at afterburner@erols.com.

*FAIR WARNING:  The Deadlands-OT list was created to have a list where the
regulars could take their off topic conversations.  One of the only rules
is. . . no rules.  (Almost.  Attachments are still forbidden.)  That pretty
much means that the OT list started at the bottom, worked it's way down,
and has constantly strived to remain there.  Aside from the normal
vulgarity, this list is where people can make personal attacks against each
other.  It is not a polite place, nor does it usually have anything to do
at all with Deadlands, Brave New World, or even role-playing games.  None
of the game designers post to it and it has no official relationship with
any game company whatsoever.  There is absolutely no worthwhile content on
this list.  Since the messages are archived and posted to the web, none of
the regular posters to this list will ever be able to run for public
office. It is filled with senseless vulgarity interspaced with occasional
piercing personal attacks on people.  If you still live with your parents
they probably don't want you reading the OT list.  Do so at your own risk.