Re: [DL] Repeat Questions (was: Black Circle Errata)

--- "Heivilin, Jim" <banzai@missouri.edu> wrote:
> While it may be easier to ask the question again it
> produces a feature of
> the list which I personally find annoying.

::arches eyebrow::

> However I see the same questions again and again and
> again and again in a
> (very tedious) cycle.  It gets old.

Try being a teacher some time.

> However I firmly believe what my father
> (who was a teacher for 25 years) taught me when he
> said there was no such
> thing as a stupid question.  So I don't necessarily
> want to discourage
> anyone from asking questions.  I don't know that
> I've heard the question
> before until you ask it.
>
> However I usually try to find out the answer to any
> question I have before I
> ask it in public.  Just in case the answer is
> obvious.  So if I find it
> before I ask, I won't look like a fool in public (it
> happens enough
> otherwise I don't need to try).

I didn't even know the question had been posted
before, the subject heading when it was asked earlier
was under Re: BLACK CIRCLE, not BLACK CIRCLE Errata. I
think, like you, I deleted most of those Re: BLACK
CIRCLE e-mails because they were of the "this book is
so good, I love the new Edge" kind of statements which
didn't interest me.
Someone asked about errata for Black Circle and I
happened to own a copy now and no one was answering
the question sufficiently. Answers were coming back
with "I think" and "it should probably", well that
doesn't sound like a very concrete answer to me. So
when Mom and Dad can't answer a question, turn to
someone else who will probably know.
And if questions are going to be annoying to you,
don't answer them. Let someone else be nice enough to
say "oh someone already asked that, here's a link to
the posting in the archive"
I've found that when I ask a question on this list,
only happened four times but still, I'm usually
inundated with smart ass comments or remarks rather
than an actual answer, and THAT is more annoying than
being asked the same question.
-doc

p.s.- if I'm coming off as rude or petulant, I
apologize. I'm a very blunt person off of the
internet, and when something is bothering me I address
it immediatelly with my peers. I've found that having
this disposition causes people online to be incensed
by things that I sometimes say, please try to remember
that in an online forum like this there's no reason to
be upset at anyone for anything except outright insults.