[DL] The Wind Cannon

Sorry about the reply to this taking so long - I had a very busy weekend...

knick_nevin@yahoo.com
>>Minor Malfunction:  Partial loss of air pressure reduces the damage to 4d4
>I would change this to 3d4
  I'll consider it.  The main reason I chose 4d4 is that most devices don't
go below half damage from a Minor Malfunction, and the damage is resisted by
Vigor (thus making 3d4 less than half the damage of 6d4).

>I would make the turbine rupturing do actual damage on a 6d4 to the user
>(it's supposed to be catastrophic) and still push the user forward
>(comparing damge vs Size) also, I would set a Tinkerin' roll for the
>device's repair, probably 9 or 11
  I chose non-lethal damage for two reasons.  Non-lethal devices, for the
most part, have less severe malfunctions than lethal ones.  Second, throwing
the user forward will generally have bad effects ("oh, hello Mr.
Werewolf..."), and could even do falling damage if the scientist hits a
solid surface or goes over a ledge.

wangenstein@mad.scientist.com said:
>Catastrophes can be plenty catastrophic without being instantly deadly.
  Agreed.  Besides, even 6d4 of non-lethal damage is likely to knock the
scientist out, unless he spends Fate Chips on wind.

>It's a great idea for a device. I have a similar one, called the
>Thermopneumatic Cannon. ... It doesn't even require ghost rock to function
>(though you do have to recharge the air tank periodically).
  I make sure that every device in my game requires ghost rock at some point
in the construction process, even if it's not needed for fuel.  The Wind
Cannon can run a long time on a fuel core, but I felt it needed a ghost rock
power source.

-Casey

P.S.  Did any else see my post about Pinkertons and the Agency last week?  I
was hoping someone would be interested enough to reply...maybe I should
repost it.