Re: [DL] Which System to Use for a New Game

--- Daniel Stack <danielstack@mediaone.net> wrote:
> Seriously, some good questions about things I
> probably should have indicated in my first e-mail.

Thank you, once again.

> An excellent idea.  After whipping up characters, I
can see it being real useful having a few gunfights
just for "fun".

A few???  *laugh*  It gets addictive - we spent MONTHS
doing it!  "No, I want to try the hexslinger this
time!"  And of course, the Marshal's evil grin the
first time he used dynamite... ahhh, that was fun!

"As for passing the GM hat, I'm the main GM, with
another player GM-ing occasional one shots in Star
Trek and Toon. Hmmm... Perhaps Deadlands can quad-stat
and use the Toon system... :-)"

Don't laugh - I've got a link!

> Somewhere in the middle I'd say.  I enjoy
sourcebooks for background ... I do use them when in a
time-crunch, I still get them to shamelessly raid them
for ideas, encounters, and maps.

Sounds exactly like us - our Marshal calls the
pre-generated modules "his retirement plan" for when
he's too tapped or busy to come up with his own.  Much
like GURPS, DeadLands gets major kudos for doing their
homework.

> I'm mainly debating if the DL system is worth the
learning curve for our group and is compatible with
out style (which is pretty rules-lite, winging it).
To be honest, I think it is - some of the players'
eyes lit up when I mentioned poker hands.

Oh yes, my friend.  Before you know it you won't be
able to think properly without a deck in your hand!
You'll start researching clay poker chips, authentic
spitoons, and cases of candy cigarettes for your
characters with the Hankerin'.  Your movie collection
will swell, as will your movie soundtrack collection,
and you'll lose the final -g from all -ing words!

*laugh*  Welcome to the posse!

Marguerite of EMGB, otherwise known as Captain Sydney
Mallory