Re: [DL] dice-o-rama

 >For character stats you mean?  I disagree.  The average roll for a d4
 >(ignoring aces) is 2.5, the average roll for a d12 is 6.5, for a
 >difference of 4.  Now, considering that it normally takes 5 points (one
 >raise) to do signaficantly better, on average, a person with a d12 in a
 >stat, won't do significantly better than a person with a d4.  Which,
 >IMHO, is about right.

Except that the numbers you are looking for are generally 5, 10,
etc.  Which gives the d12 serious advantages over any other die type.  Even
the d10 - especially looking at getting a success and a raise.

1d10 - 10% of hitting
1d12 - 25% of hitting.

A dichotomy that widens as the coordination improves.
1       2       3       4
10.0    18.9    27.0    34.3
25.0    43.7    57.8    68.3

Which is not really a problem - the difference exists for everyone - except
that all players do not start equal.  A lucky draw will usually dominate
the rest of the party.  Especially when you look at the 36 bounty points
required to raise a d10 to d12.

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - http://www.darious.com/

Man is the only animal that blushes - or needs to.
                 -Mark Twain