Re: [DL] Will Someone Stop the Bleedin'?

Jesse,

I've had that problem, too.  You just want to create some tension and
horror, and their are the player who take exception to any perceived
disadvantage.  I find it very difficult to deal with these sorts of
players, as I like to try and get some atmosphere without trying to bolster
everything I do with an infinite amount of minute rules.  As a GM, I don't
feel that I need to restrict all of my decisions in that fashion  If
another player has a problem with that, then she is more than welcome to
discuss it with me like an adult.  I don't do whining or arguing.  I'm
playing a game, not teaching my 6th graders!

Honestly, if your players are arguing with you in the manner described,
then there might be a source for concern (and it sure as Hades ain't the
bleedin').  You're just trying to make your game exciting -- why should you
be denied of the joys of that?  Additionally, in the episode you mention
you were (in my opinion) not taking any undue advantage.  Time to grow up
-- we're not playing D&D and we're beyond elementary school!  I'd say high
school, but one can never assume these days...   :)

With that said, our posse tends to stop bleeding in an action or three
during combat rounds.  I just assume that at some point after combat
someone would notice a posse member bleeding, and will throw out a reminder
if they forgot.  Again, I try not to interrupt the flow of the game, have
the doc's make their rolls.  Unless there is a real reason to keep track of
time, this is no biggie.  If time is an issue, I usually make it an
arbitrary 30 seconds per bleeding wound level.

Oh, I also think that a liberal use of abuse of power is a good thing.  If
you don't, your players might think you're going soft! :)

Good luck!

Dane

At 01:22 PM 8/30/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Subject: Re: [DL] Will Someone Stop the Bleedin'?
>
> > Is it arbitrary?  Yes.  Is it necessary?  IMHO, yes.
> >  You've already got
> > enough rules.  Use what you have and use your
> > imagination.

<delevi>