[DL] London Underground in 1877? Try the subway

--- Michael Robert Blair <pellinoire@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Still, the Underground was around by '77 and a
> cowboy
> in London might find himself on it...

Hmm ... this thread got me to thinking. Although the
tragic events on Tuesday demanded I give a little
respect, I looked into the history of the creation of
the New York subway system. Most of the groundwork was
laid in the late 1880's and through to the turn of the
century, but I figured that with the technological
advancement due to mad science and ghost rock, it
would be logical to give a city as large as New York a
subway system by 1876 or 1877. There is a fantastic
site out there for anyone who wants to look into this
further, and surprise surprise, it's actaully
government-run:

http://www.nycsubway.org/maps/historical/

The maps are very good and are actually era-authentic.
I recommend the 1888 map for anyone who wishes to see
how big NY really was back then.

James Knevitt

=====
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

"Lend me your dark & nasty stuff, O my buddy Bert !"
- Paul Jacoby

"Should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be facing a finality beyond your comprehension, and you will not be counting days, or months, or years, but millenia in a place with no doors." - Joe Black, "Meet Joe Black"