RE: [DL] The Occult in DL

    Ok sorry for the delay with this my email system is a little shook up at
the moment.

    > The question is, what happens when your posse wants to
    > dabble in the Black Arts? I like dark, moody anti-hero
    > games, so I'm thinking that they can go into that dark
    > forest without a lantern if they want. I'm planning on
    > using the Corruption Points system from Black Circle
    > (if someone can post me a quick brief on Corruption
    > Points it would be helpful).
    >
    > Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? I know
    > Deadlands is meant to be a game of heroes, of good
    > guys and bad guys, of brave cowboys kissing the horse
    > and riding off on the schoolmarm (don't ask).
    >
    > Has anyone else tackled the occult in their Deadlands
    > game, how did it go and do you have any tips?

    I personally would not run a game where the characters are all
discovering their darker sides.  The non-schoolmarm side of Deadlands (IMO)
is more about the characters struggling against their own darker side,
rather than exploring it.  That said I currently have one player who is
"turning to the dark side" however both he and I know that it's all going to
come to a mess end eventually where the character will either join the
legion of NPC's or will be dead (most probably killed by the rest of the
posse)

    Essentially, the player has ended up in a battle for his soul, only he
discovered losing his soul to a particular entity gave him funky new powers.
So instead of struggling to regain his soul, he runs around using his cool
powers and (unknowingly) chalking up the corruption points (although I do
give him hints).

    The system I'm using is a mishmash of corruption, servitor stuff from
HOE and my own musings.  In general it's ended up very freeform and
therefore probably isn't suited for use with more than one character in a
group.

    Cheers

    Roy