AW: [DL] Europe and World War I in 1877 (was: Re: European Sourcebooks)

> French Alliance: France, England, possibly Spain
> Central Powers: German Republics + Prussia,
> Austria-Hungary
> Neutral: Ottoman Empire, White Russia, Italy
>
> If anyone could clarify this in accordance with real
> world allegiances, let me know. :)

Well the "Entente" (the historical French Alliance) of WWI included:
England, France, Belgium Russia, Serbia. Later Romania, Greece, Italy and
Portugal joind the Entente.

The Central Powers consisted of Austria-Hungary (which started WWI), Germany
and later Bulgaria and the Ottoman Empire.

But I don't think that these alliances would be realistic.
In 1866, Austria and Prussia fought for the dominace in an united Germany.
Prussia won. Also, in the same year, Prussia and Italy banded together
against Austria, while Austria sought support from France.
The relations were rather tense the following years - I don't think that
Austria would've thought along with the Germans. (although they signed a
treaty in 1873 - see below).
In the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, Austria remained neutral.
(btw: Schliemann found Troja in 1870 and continued his work until 1884)
1871: Russia gains influence at the Black Sea (with the support of Bismarck)
Then, 1873, Germany, Austria and Russia signed the "Three-Emperor-Treaty"
which asked for "Consultations" in case of an attack by a third party.

So, if there was a WWI-like War in the 1870ies, the Alliances would look
different. Spain was fighting a Civil War in 1874, so it couldn't really
help France against Prussia.
Despite the Three-Emperor-Treaty I seriously doubt that any of the three
involved countries would have followed it (as they didn't in reality when
Russia declared itself part of the Entente in 1914).

As for German inventors:
1876: Nikolaus Otto invents the Otto-Motor.
1879: Werner Siemens builds the first electrical Locomotive.

While I'm at it (and I know, I'm rambling...):
1877: Russia fights against the Ottoman Empire
1878: Bismarck prevents an English-Russian war; Austria occupies Bosnia.
1879: Germany and Austria sign a treaty against an Russian attack.

ok, enogh for now ;-)
Markus