RE: [DL] Fishing for ideas - Spoilers

> In the latest adveture I almost killed a party member
> ... but got soft .. sigh.

I always figure if I've been soft on someone then I have every right to play
up the effects of the infirmaties that they have gained as a result of the
near death experience.

> According to the rules the arm is only possessed for
> 11 hours.  I had told him this (in retrospect I should
> have withheld this info).  Should I lie, and change it
> to be permanently possessed?  I was hoping his arm
> would be torn off and come back undead, but he didn't
> want to end up fighting it every week.

Don't think of it as you lying - evil people feel quite justified in lying.
I have  a player who seems to think that the person who currently holds his
soul will return in after a year - simply because he told him so!

> What fiendish ideas can other people come up with?  Or
> what do you think of the above ideas?

Ok, how about, the backlash didn't cause the hucksters arm to be possessed -
because he was near a big portal it actually swapped his arm with a creature
of the hunting grounds.  Because the creature that lost it's arm is humanoid
(otheriwse it owuld have been obvious before now) it only "seemed" possessed
to the huckster, when he gives the arm a closer look he will realise that it
isn't his (if he wears gloves you have have more fun with how inhuman his
arm actually looks).  [Which means of course that you didn't lie - if he had
indeed been possessed then it would have worn off in 11 hours, however
seeing as it technically isn't possessed...]

It was this hunting grounds creature (HGC) that was bitten - hence this
creature is actually the werewolf - not the huckster.  So whenever the HGC
transforms - so does the hucksters arm.

In effect you end up with a werewolf form of a hunting grounds creature that
is looking for a way through so that it can regain it's arm (and you bet
this won't be good news for the huckster).  This could manifest as a
presence in the hucksters dreams initially, to eventually becoming a
physical presence that is tracking down the huckster when the creature
eventually makes it out of the hunting grounds.

In the meantime as the character knows too much about what is going on, so
throw some odd things to make the character edgy; while he is sleeping is a
good place to start. For instance have the arm make attempts at hex casting,
so the huckster wakes up and finds a royal flush set out on the bed beside
him, or several cards lying on the floor as if thrown there in disgust.
What's going on? What hex is it trying to cast?   Does it know his hexes or
is it tying to do something else?  Have the arm drag the character around
when he falls asleep - maybe the werewolf takes exception to the werecat and
drags the huckster over so that the arm can sabotage the werecat's equipment
etc. maybe he'll just wake up in odd locations wondering what the arm was
actually up to.

I'd have fun with it and work some way of keeping the "possessed" arm around
for longer.  You also get the fun of having the PC meet a werewolfed version
of a HGC and see that one of it's arms remains human when the rest of it
transforms into werewolf form.

How he gets the arm back depends on how evil and nasty you are.

Cheers

Roy