Re: [DL] Several Thread Takes

>3)Europe and Alliances
    A good analysis, one which rather fits in with my personal view of the
matter.  However, it and the Deadlands treatment of the Maze reminds me of a
point that's been nagging me about the Royal Navy.  Where is it?  In all the
literature about the sea war in the Maze, there are just about every navy
except the Royal Navy (well, okay, *only* those of Mexico, France, the
C.S.A., the U.S.A. and those of sundry Chinese and American pirates.)  Where
are the Brits?  At the time the RN was trying to maintain the fleet at the
"two power standard"  level (i.e. RN was to be at least as large as the
combined fleets of the next two largest powers) so A. they wouldn't be
lacking in funding to build new ships and new naval technologies, and B.
they would be very interested in acquiring a reliable source of ghost rock.
    Three alternative reason come to mind in explaining this.  The first is
that Britain has it's hands full somewhere else (I recall rumblings about
how India was going Weird TM or at least rebellious.)  The second, is that
Britain is sticking to it's part of the Monroe doctrine and staying out of
"American" (i.e. U.S.A. or C.S.A.) areas of interest in the Americas while
protecting it's areas of interest in the Americas, (viz. Canada, Jamaica,
Bahamas, etc.)  The last is that the RN is busy guaranteeing the freedom of
the seas for merchant vessels trading with the C.S.A.
    I don't suppose the powers that be can shed any light on this?
          Daniel Gwyn
"No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend
Like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again!"
From "The Mary Ellen Carter" by Stan Rogers (1949-1983)