Re: [DL] dime novels

In a message dated 12/9/01 12:56:17 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
darious@darious.com writes:

> Quick question - how would they work in the Deadlands flagship system?

I don't think I understand your question.  It's similar to the old dime
novels in that the adventure doesn't have a huge effect on the main deadlands
plot (you don't kill stone or any presidents).  It can be slipped into any
game, it takes place along the mississippi.  Since the conversion rules are
in the back you can convert stats over easily enough.  This is coming from
someone who doesn't really like the GURPS system (at least compared to the
deadlands system which is so right for the game).
The adventure as a whole I think would be unchanged in the deadlands system.
The only thing I would change, and it's real minor, is that in the dime novel
it seems that every common joe knows what a huckster is, along with other
arcane stuff that your common person wouldn't know.  (Spoiler and I'll
explain a little)

SPOILER

Theres a scene in the novel where 5-6 guys are playing poker in a bar.  One
of the guys is a huckster, and he's using hexes to cheat.  Eventually he gets
backlash, and a little tornado blows across the table destroying the game.
One of the other players stands up, calls him a huckster cheat and shoots him
dead.  No questions are asked and everyone in the bar knows what a huckster
is.  Like I said, this is a really minor complaint as the story was very
good, and I love having the novel there as it helps alot when running the
game.