Re: [DL] Skill

> I remember a while back someone listing a skill 'Marksman' or something
like
> that. Any chance to get a repost or private email of the details? Thanks.

From the Accumulated Rulings:

Rulebooks: Back East, The South, Marksman
C) Marksman - Associated Trait: Cognition
Cowpokes are accustomed to shooting it out close-up even when carrying long
arms, and consequently are rarely capable of exploiting the full potential
of such weapons. A soldier, by contrast, is trained to put lead into the
enemy, accurately and consistently, at much longer ranges. Therefore, a
soldier who succeeds at a Fair (5) roll with their marksman Aptitude halves
the modifier normally added to their base TN for range, but if they Go Bust,
the range modifier doubles instead. Resolving a marksman roll is a Simple
Task (Speed 1), but a character cannot attempt a roll if they're also
Shooting from the Hip. A character may Draw a Bead as normal on subsequent
actions, provided their aim is not disturbed (by failing a Stun Check, for
example) before they fire, which results in all benefits of the marksman
Aptitude roll and/or Drawing a Bead being lost.
Marksman only works with Rifles and Carbines; no other type of weapon
derives any benefit whatsoever from this Aptitude. Similarly, marksman
cannot be used to halve the range modifiers of smoothbore Rifles (the US
Model 1822 and 1842 Rifles from Law Dogs, page 67). [Christopher McGlothlin,
DL listserv, 7/22/99]

The Aptitude is also in the current build of the Deadlands Character
Generator.  We decided to include material cut from rulebooks and material
from the website.  you can download it from http://www.thebrogue.com/dlcgp .

Nick Zachariasen
Editor Emeritus
Trojan Times