[DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20020101

ok, I know all you players on this list are feeling left out right about now,
but this email isn't for you either, so git!

I said git! *BLAM*

on the whole Stone thing:

first off, read through devil's tower 3 a few times before you run it so you
know what's going on, it's RAMPANT with typos and plot incongruities. (minor
ones, but since most of the ones I noticed happened in the dialogue you're
supposed to read players, you kind of need to know about it before hand)

secondly, the entire deadlands world is actually immune to paradox as near as
I can tell.   what happens is what happens and screw how it happens to work
out that way.    one case in point of this is the young stone DOESN'T LIVE TO
HELL ON EARTH, just the old stone.   so don't worry about that.

in reference to specific questions, I'm pretty sure it's the old stone they
are going after in 3 (though I don't have it handy to check.)   the final
fight was actually pretty anticlimactic, though I messed up in a few points,
some things to consider:

first off, the average posse will be getting more actions than stone's 8, not
counting jackie. (a party of 4 with 2 actions each would eaqual him, and most
parties have a couple people that tend to get 3)

secondly, stone has just as many wounds as everyone else, and no armor (if
there is a harrowed power for armor please tell me about it)

thirdly, stone (properly played, I missed this at the time) can put out lead
faster that a steamgatling fired by an expert user.

so:   the posse is in need of a break: have stone go after jackie first (she
is the biggest threat after all), giving them some breathing room.

and/or: have stone do two shots to the head as a vindictive bastard.   this
will burn through one PCs fate chips like water (because no one can dodge
that well) but the rest of them will burn up stone's other actions because he
has to dodge them

and finally: go for the heart!   stone needs the heart to complete the
ritual, grab the damn thing and run like hell (and if a PC doesn't figure
this out jackie will)   This is what happened in my game. (also the devil bat
heart can (if neccessary) be integral, so if they maim the other heart it
could stop the ritual

if stone isn't properly menacing: make sure you remember he can fan with the
single actions, that's 6 shots that can hit targets as long as they are in a
2 yard spread, so he can fan down an entire posse.   (though then you get
into the weird area of dodging automatic fire, more on that in a minute).
also since his pistol reloads after holstering for a single action, his
actions consist of:

quickdraw right gun, shoot from the hip for 6 shots fanned
quickholster right gun, quickdraw left gun, shoot from the hip for six shots.

wash, rinse, repeat

also, don't forget the evil eye to make fate chips unusable.   with 2 actions
he can take anyone out with the old 1 2 combo (no fate chips, 2 shots to the
head) (I allowed a legend chip to be used for this which allowed one PC to
survive it)

at any rate, here's my question: how do you do dodging automatics if you
aren't the primary target?

example:stone shoots the 6 posse members coming over the bend.   he hits with
5 raises (a roll of 30),hitting them all.   the first one dodges with a 10.
now he only hit with 4 raises (success at 10 and the 4 multiples of 5 to get
to 30), so he still hits the first guy, but because of the first guy dodging,
the last guy is now fine (qort of weird, but kind of acceptable that he's
spending more time getting the first guy so he ends up running out at the
end).   but what about the second guy?   can he dodge?   You can kind of say
that he can dodge, and for each point above five he reduces the original roll
by that much, as long as you keep track of who does get shot anyway (so the
last guy doesn't dodge enough to prevent the first guy getting hit), but
that's the best method I can come up with (and a little too math intensive
for my liking, I like battles to be fast and easy, one thing I'm working on
fixing in deadlands

as for if they kill stone, do it the easy way, keep stone's cards behind the
screen.   when they deal the fifth wound to his guts or his head, pick up the
fatechip pile and act like you just threw in enough to chips to have him
survive.   then declare that he has the next action and have him ghost with
that action and his held action (whether he had one or not).

simple, decisive, and efficient.

oh, a word of warning on devil's tower 3, if they end up running from Stone
like my party did, there's a good chance they'll decide to run into the
portal to get away.   you might want to make sure you have a plan for that
(well, you don't really need a big plan for what's going on there, just a
copy of ghost dancers.   what you need a better plan for is how the hell some
random people are going to survive in the hunting grounds, and that could
take a little more work.)

In my posse's case, that "little more work" involved a native guide, a posse
member killed a little earlier who thus knew "the lay of the land" in the
hunting grounds and could act as guide.

if you want more info on how DT3 or the hunting grounds played out I can put
it up, it's a little late for me to transcribe it here (and my posse only
does a few spurts of journals on their own so our website is a bit bare on
the whole write-up area.