[DL] (fiction) RAIL WARS

RAIL WARS:

You all know this story, This is just another telling
of it.

Part I “It was a dark, dry night.”

	Nights in the west can pass by with nothing
to hear but the rustling sounds of the wind blowing
sand and tumbleweeds across the hard dry ground.
Most nights there is also nothing to see but the star
lit night stretching over all of creation.
Not this night.
First theirs the rattle of the rusting steel rails on
the bone dry wooden tracks that rest atop the parched
ground. Then theirs the thundering sound of gunfire
and the scream of a steam whistle echoing across the
night. At the edge of sight coming down the tracks
are the swinging yellow lights of the oil lamps
lighting the way for the great iron engine rumbling
up the tracks, belching great billows of black coal
burning smoke. In the engine the crew works with coal
stained faces furled in fear and determination as
they stoke the fire for every bit of speed they could
pull from the straining engine. The long heavy train
rushes pass, until the last car in the train came
into view, bullet ridden and smoking.
	Even as the last car passes, a great black
behemoth of a engine roared into view, white ghost
rock smoke twisting and screaming like dammed souls
above the towering smokestacks, and a blinding white
light shines from the ghost rock filament lanterns
onto the tracks before it.  Two massive gattling guns
mounted to the front of the engine let loose with
another volley of bullets into the fleeing train,
before the black engine surged ahead with a burst of
speed and rams into the rail car before it, showering
splinters and falling wreckage to either side.  Two
long metal grate with sides shaped like grinning
dragons drop from the engine and fall onto the
wreckage of the last car, the sharp claws of the iron
dragons dig deeply into the wooden floor securing the
ramps to the car. From behind the bright lanterns
shadowy figures begin to inch their way along the
narrow walkways on the sides of the engine, creeping
their way towards the newly bridged gap between the
two trains.

Inside the passenger car of the lead train lights
swing wildly over a scene of chaos. Passengers argue
and shout as they struggle pass each other in search
of safety while others drop to their knees in prayer.
Through the milling crowds a handful of rail agents
force they way with to the last car and take up
positions with their guns draw.
Pushing his way thought the crowd is a tiny
determined man who uses short sharp blows from his
elbows to clear a path, following him is a dapper
black man who keeps up a constant series of apologies
to each person he is forced to squeeze by in the wake
of his small friend.
	“Excuse me, A thousand pardons, If I could
just squeeze by, Pardon me, Oh where did he go now”
asks Theodore Peel as he steps past the last of the
crowd, just in time to see his fellow employee Arty
Dainty receive whispered instructions and a packet
from their employer Ms. Laura King. Theo had been
glad to take the position of secretary with Ms King
the month before, few people were willing to hire a
black man for a white collar job, and Theo had been
almost broke. In the last few weeks Theo had used his
talent for languages to translate Ms King’s stories
into the many languages of the various paper that
published her work, as well as translating the hand
signs of her mute photographer Arty Dainty. But Ms
King’s stories had made her a few enemies, among them
the rail baron Kang whose men were currently shooting
up the back of the train. During the 5 weeks of his
employment Theo had been in 3 fistfights and now shot
at for the fourth time and his was getting a bit
tired of it. Theo had decided that he no longer
wished to be dragged willy nilly in to danger and
wished to share his decision with his employer. Theo
walks quickly down the passage calling out for Ms.
King attention but she swiftly steps out the door to
the luggage car. “Was that Ms King, what did she give
you? Oh, where are we going?” asks Theo as Arty
whistles and waves for Theo to join him next to the
open passenger car door. Theo steps sharply back at
the sight of the landscape rushing by.  Arty Whistles
and makes a diving motion with his hand towards the
open door. “Jump! You must be mad, I’d rather take my
chances with Kangs men” said an aghast Theo. Arty
sighs and grabs the much taller but lighter man by
his coat. “What are you doing? Don’t you dareeee…”
screams Theo as Arty flings him out the door. After
watching the taller man strike the ground and roll to
a stop unharmed, Arty nods in satisfaction and leaps
after him.

As the last Rail agents takes up his position and
draws his pistol, the first of a horde of wild eye
hired guns begin to leap from the hulking engine now
anchored to the last rail car. The men are a strange
mix of sword waving chinamen and pistol packing
saddle trash. The rail agents meet their first wild
screaming charge with a series of careful aimed
shots. The first row of the thugs falls in a welter
of spraying blood and tumbling bodies. With a single
shout all of the other fall to floor as the two
gattling guns mounted onto the front of the engine
begin to spin and rain death into the handful of rail
agents huddling behind the all too feeble cover of
wooden partitions and upholster seats.  Wooden
splinters and bodies are thrown back by the force of
the flying bullets until the Gattling at last run out
of ammo and the mob leaps up with a roar to swarm
over the last surviving agents.

Inside the baggage car Ms Laura King listens without
expression to the sounds of gunfire and screams in
the distance. It is only as the first of the raiders
begins to try to force the door to the baggage car
that she steps behind a partition, kneels and snaps
together the mechanism of a clockwork gattling
pistol. A tattooed, bare-chested man bursts into the
car with a hatchet in each hand, he is met with a
burst of bullets that riddles his body with hammer
like blows before dropping him dead to the floor. The
other thugs quickly step back and out of view before
shouting to each other in Cantonese. Laura moves to
kneel behind a steamer trunk.
From outside the car Laura can hear a voice shout “We
will have to rush her, the master wants her alive. “
Suddenly a mob of screaming china men surge though
the door, Laura greets them with a frown and a single
burst of bullets meets them before the complex
mechanism of her pistol makes a sad “Snick” sound and
jams. Laura has only enough time to glare at her
pistol before she is overpowered.
As Laura struggles in the grips of a large bald
headed thug, other raiders charge pass and seize the
engineers, dragging them from the engine to join her.
From out of the gun smoke swirling in the air of the
baggage car steps a tall gunfighter dressed from head
to toe in black, a neckerchief covers his strangely
flat face while tinted goggles hide his eyes.  A
grinning china man by the door stands up straight and
announces, “ Lord Raiden has arrived”. Raiden first
looks down to meet the cold glare of Laura before
slowly turning to silently regard the white-faced
engineer. Drawing in a heavy rasping breath Raiden
speaks in a deep booming voice  “You should have
stopped when ordered. You will not make that mistake
again” with a single hand Raiden lifts the frightened
figure of the engineer high into the air by the neck
before slowing crushing his throat with an audible
crack. Laura jerks free from the grip of her captor
and glares up at Raiden “That was unnecessary, all of
this was unnecessary, I don’t have anything you
want”. Raiden turns to Laura and looks at her for a
moment, before leaning over to speak directly into
her face “You know what I’m capable of, do not waste
my time with useless lies” Laura pales, but tries to
look brave. “Very well, but you will nothing from me”
Raiden stands up to his full towering height “That,
Remains to be seen.”

Several miles back, the sad figure of Theodore Peel
staggers aimlessly across the cracked dry ground.
Pacing ahead of him is the energetic Arty Dainty who
strides ahead in bursts of speed and then stops to
look around and wave to Theo to hurry up. Theo stops
and glares at his small partner, “OF all the asinine
things to do, throwing me from a train. Its not like
Kang's men would have harmed up, we just work for Ms
King” Arty turns and whistles while making a series
of hand gestures. Theo’s eyes widen in alarm “ She’s
what! A member of the Agency, oh my buttons, Kang’s
men will kill us all” Theo turns and rubs his
forehead, Arty runs along Theo side whistling and
trying to get Theo to look at his hand gestures.
“Plan? I don’t want anything to do with any more
plans. You just go right along with what ever Ms.
King sent you off to do, and I’ll go my own way.”
Theo points in the direction that Arty was
travelling, Arty begins to walk off with slumped
shoulders, turning once with hope in his eye, only to
have Theo again gestures to the horizon. They both
begin to walk in separate directions.

Coming soon.
RAIL WARS: Part II “Lost in the desert”